Tuesday, March 3, 2015

BAe Hawk, Red Arrows, Airfix 1/72


The old Airfix Hawk was the first model kit I had ever received (my older brother got an Airfix Mig-23). My dad bought it for me from some general store of sorts run by this Indian gentleman somewhere in PJ. I don't know if it's there anymore, and if it is it probably doesn't sell kits now. That's too bad - I love these mom-and-pop stores. Over the years I've spent some time locating the old kits I had built or were built for me as a kid, and I've even been able to locate the exact boxings.

 The kit is built OOB, brush painted Humbrol red. I decided to build it just like I did as a kid - no filler, one kind of glue, brush painted. The only concession I made was to paint the exhaust and the pilots. I will probably have to apply a gloss coat to seal the decals in or they'll peel off eventually. Fit is remarkable - the only part I had trouble with was the canopy, which I only did a minimum of sanding. I built this over two days, on a kitchen table (with a piece of newspaper over it of course). It was a good walk down memory lane.


No comments:

Post a Comment